Android versions and their names
- Android 1.5: Android Cupcake.
- Android 1.6: Android Donut.
- Android 2.0: Android Eclair.
- Android 2.2: Android Froyo.
- Android 2.3: Android Gingerbread.
- Android 3.0: Android Honeycomb.
- Android 4.0: Android Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Android 4.1 to 4.3.1: Android Jelly Bean.
Android Name-Version-API Level
|Code name||Version||API level|
|LOLLIPOP_MR1||5.1||API level 22|
|Lollipop||5.0||API level 21|
|KitKat||4.4 – 4.4.4||API level 19|
|Jelly Bean||4.3.x||API level 18|
20 more rowsAndroid version history
|Code name||Version number||API level|
|KitKat||4.4 – 4.4.4||19 – 20|
|Lollipop||5.0 – 5.1.1||21 – 22|
|Marshmallow||6.0 – 6.0.1||23|
|Nougat||7.0 – 7.1.2||24 – 25|
13 more rowsAndroid version history
|Code name||Version number||Linux kernel version|
|Gingerbread||2.3 – 2.3.7||2.6.35|
|Honeycomb||3.0 – 3.2.6||2.6.36|
|Ice Cream Sandwich||4.0 – 4.0.4||3.0.1|
|Jelly Bean||4.1 – 4.3.1||3.0.31 to 3.4.39|
13 more rowsAndroid (operating system) Android is a mobile operating system developed by Google, based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open source software and designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.Android Oreo now on 4.6 percent of active devices, Nougat on nearly 31 percent
|2.3.3 – 2.3.7||Gingerbread||10|
|4.0.3 – 4.0.4||Ice Cream Sandwich||15|
9 more rowsPlatform Codenames, Versions, API Levels, and NDK Releases
|Code name||Version||API level|
|Honeycomb||3.0||API level 11|
|Gingerbread||2.3.3 – 2.3.7||API level 10|
|Gingerbread||2.3 – 2.3.2||API level 9, NDK 5|
|Froyo||2.2.x||API level 8, NDK 4|
22 more rows
- 1 What are all the versions of Android?
- 2 What is the highest Android version?
- 3 What is Android 7.0 called?
- 4 What was Android 1.0 called?
- 5 What is Android version 9 called?
- 6 Can I upgrade my Android version?
- 7 What is the best Android operating system for tablets?
- 8 What is the latest Android version for tablets?
- 9 Which Android phone is best?
- 10 Is Android 7 any good?
- 11 What is Android 8 called?
- 12 Is Android 7.0 nougat good?
- 13 What is Android’s newest operating system?
- 14 How many types of Android phones are there?
- 15 What is the latest version of Android 2019?
- 16 Which phone will get Android P?
- 17 Is Android pie better than Oreo?
- 18 Which is the best version of Android?
- 19 What is the latest Android version for Samsung?
- 20 Is redmi Note 4 Android upgradable?
- 21 How do I upgrade my Android operating system?
- 22 What’s the best smartphone on the market?
- 23 Which is better Android or smartphone?
- 24 Which budget smartphone has the best camera?
- 25 Which is better nougat or Oreo?
- 26 Is marshmallow or nougat better?
- 27 Is marshmallow better than nougat?
What are all the versions of Android?
Android Version Names: Every Os From Cupcake to Android P
- The Mascots on Google Campus, from left to right: Donut, Android (and Nexus One), Cupcake, and Eclair | Source.
- Android 1.5: Cupcake.
- Android 1.6: Donut.
- Android 2.0 and 2.1: Eclair.
- Android 2.2: Froyo.
- Android 2.3, 2.4: Gingerbread.
- Android 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2: Honeycomb.
- Android 4.0: Ice Cream Sandwich.
What is the highest Android version?
Nougat is losing its hold (latest)
|Android Name||Android Version||Usage Share|
|Jelly Bean||4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x||3.2%↓|
|Ice Cream Sandwich||4.0.3, 4.0.4||0.3%|
|Gingerbread||2.3.3 to 2.3.7||0.3%|
4 more rows
What is Android 7.0 called?
Android 7.0 “Nougat” (codenamed Android N during development) is the seventh major version and 14th original version of the Android operating system.
What was Android 1.0 called?
Android versions 1.0 to 1.1: The early days. Android made its official public debut in 2008 with Android 1.0 — a release so ancient it didn’t even have a cute codename. The Android 1.0 home screen and its rudimentary web browser (not yet called Chrome).
What is Android version 9 called?
Android P is officially Android 9 Pie. On August 6, 2018, Google revealed that its next version of Android is Android 9 Pie. Along with the name change, the number this year is also slightly different. Rather than following the trend of 7.0, 8.0, etc., Pie is referred to as 9.
Can I upgrade my Android version?
From here, you can open it and tap the update action to upgrade the Android system to the latest version. Connect your Android phone to the Wi-Fi Network. Go to Settings > About device, then tap System Updates > Check for Updates > Update to download and install the latest Android version.
What is the best Android operating system for tablets?
Among the best Android devices are the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 and the Huawei MediaPad M3. Those looking for a very consumer oriented model should consider the Barnes & Noble NOOK Tablet 7″.
What is the latest Android version for tablets?
A Brief Android Version History
- Android 5.0-5.1.1, Lollipop: November 12, 2014 (initial release)
- Android 6.0-6.0.1, Marshmallow: October 5, 2015 (initial release)
- Android 7.0-7.1.2, Nougat: August 22, 2016 (initial release)
- Android 8.0-8.1, Oreo: August 21, 2017 (initial release)
- Android 9.0, Pie: August 6, 2018.
Which Android phone is best?
The Huawei Mate 20 Pro is the best Android phone in the world.
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Very nearly the best Android phone.
- Google Pixel 3 XL. The best phone camera gets even better.
- Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
- OnePlus 6T.
- Huawei P30 Pro.
- Xiaomi Mi 9.
- Nokia 9 PureView.
- Sony Xperia 10 Plus.
Is Android 7 any good?
Google has announced that the latest version of Android, 7.0 Nougat, is rolling out to newer Nexus devices starting today. The rest are tweaks around the edges — but there are bigger changes underneath that should make Android faster and more secure, too. But the story of Nougat isn’t really whether it’s any good.
What is Android 8 called?
The latest version of Android is officially here, and it’s called Android Oreo, as most people suspected. Google has traditionally used sweet treats for the names of its major Android releases, dating back to Android 1.5, aka “Cupcake.”
Is Android 7.0 nougat good?
By now, many of the most recent premium phones have received an update to Nougat, but updates are still rolling out for many other devices. It all depends on your manufacturer and carrier. The new OS is loaded with new features and refinements, each one improving upon the overall Android experience.
What is Android’s newest operating system?
That’s really the name of Google’s newest Android operating system. The previously codenamed “P” is now available.
How many types of Android phones are there?
This year, OpenSignal counted more than 24,000 unique Android devices—both smartphones and tablets—on which its app has been installed. That is six times as many as in 2012.
What is the latest version of Android 2019?
January 7, 2019 — Motorola has announced that Android 9.0 Pie is now available for the Moto X4 devices in India. January 23, 2019 — Motorola is shipping out Android Pie to the Moto Z3. The update brings all the tasty Pie feature to the device including Adaptive Brightness, Adaptive Battery, and gesture navigation.
Which phone will get Android P?
Starting first with the Xperia XZ Premium, XZ1, and XZ1 Compact, these phones will receive their update on October 26. The XZ2 Premium will follow them on November 7, and if you have an Xperia XA2, XA2 Ultra, or XA2 Plus, you can expect Pie to land on March 4, 2019.
Is Android pie better than Oreo?
This software is smarter, faster, easier to use and more powerful. An experience that’s better than Android 8.0 Oreo. As 2019 continues and more people get Android Pie, here’s what to look for and enjoy. Android 9 Pie is a free software update for smartphones, tablets and other supported devices.
Which is the best version of Android?
Here are the most popular Android versions in October
- Nougat 7.0, 7.1 28.2%↓
- Marshmallow 6.0 21.3%↓
- Lollipop 5.0, 5.1 17.9%↓
- Oreo 8.0, 8.1 21.5%↑
- KitKat 4.4 7.6%↓
- Jelly Bean 4.1.x, 4.2.x, 4.3.x 3%↓
- Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3, 4.0.4 0.3%
- Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.7 0.2%↓
What is the latest Android version for Samsung?
- How do I know what the version number is called?
- Pie: Versions 9.0 –
- Oreo: Versions 8.0-
- Nougat: Versions 7.0-
- Marshmallow: Versions 6.0 –
- Lollipop: Versions 5.0 –
- Kit Kat: Versions 4.4-4.4.4; 4.4W-4.4W.2.
- Jelly Bean: Versions 4.1-4.3.1.
Is redmi Note 4 Android upgradable?
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 is one of the highest shipped device of the year 2017 in India. The Note 4 runs on the MIUI 9 which is a OS based on Android 7.1 Nougat. But there is another way to upgrade to the latest Android 8.1 Oreo on your Redmi Note 4.
How do I upgrade my Android operating system?
How do I update my Android ™?
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi.
- Open Settings.
- Select About Phone.
- Tap Check for Updates. If an update is available, an Update button will appear. Tap it.
- Install. Depending on the OS, you’ll see Install Now, Reboot and install, or Install System Software. Tap it.
What’s the best smartphone on the market?
The best smartphone right now is the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy S10e.
- iPhone XS Max.
- OnePlus 6T.
- Honor View 20.
- Google Pixel 3.
- iPhone XR.
- LG G7 ThinQ.
- Price Comparison.
Which is better Android or smartphone?
The truth is both iPhones running iOS and smartphones running Android have their good and bad points. And make no mistake: The fight is between these two mobile operating systems. BlackBerry exists only as a brand name, and the manufacturer making “BlackBerry” phones is now using Android.
Which budget smartphone has the best camera?
Our ultimate guide to the best camera phone.
- Huawei P30 Pro. Simply the best camera phone around.
- Google Pixel 3. One of the best Android cameras – especially for low light.
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Fantastic new addition to the camera phone crowd.
- Honor View 20.
- iPhone XS.
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus.
- OnePlus 6T.
- Moto G6 Plus.
Which is better nougat or Oreo?
Android Oreo exhibits significant battery optimization improvements in comparison to Nougat. Unlike Nougat, Oreo supports multi-display functionality allowing users to shift from one particular window to the other as per their requirements. Oreo supports Bluetooth 5 resulting in improved speed and range, on the whole.
Is marshmallow or nougat better?
Well Nougat better as it has got some premium updates and comes with great updates which makes it better than marshmallow, like Doze 2.0 which helps to increase battery life.
Is marshmallow better than nougat?
From Donut(1.6) to Nougat(7.0) (newly released), it has been a glorious journey. In recent times, a few significant changes has been done in Android Lollipop(5.0), Marshmallow(6.0) and Android Nougat (7.0). Android has always tried to make the user experience better and simpler. Read More: Android Oreo Is Here!!
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”