How to delete iOS software update files
- Go to Finder.
- Click Go in the Menu bar.
- Hold down the Option key (maybe labeled ‘Alt’) on your keyboard.
- Click Library, which should appear when you hold down Option.
- Open the iTunes folder.
- Open the iPhone Software Updates folder.
- Drag the iOS update file to the trash.
How do I free up disk space on my Mac?
To begin, choose About This Mac from the Apple () menu, then click Storage. You’ll see an overview of your free space and the space used by different categories of files, including apps, documents, and photos: Click the Manage button to see recommendations for optimizing your storage.
Where are iOS files stored on Mac?
Your iOS backups are stored in a MobileSync folder. You can find them by typing ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup into Spotlight. You can also find the backups for specific iOS devices from iTunes. Click on iTunes in the upper left corner of your Mac.
What files are safe to delete on Mac?
To remove caches:
- Open a Finder window and select Go in the menu bar.
- Click on “Go to Folder…”
- Type in ~/Library/Caches. Delete the files/folders that are taking up the most space.
- Now click on “Go to Folder…”
- Type in /Library/Caches (simply lose the ~ symbol) And, again, delete the folders that take up the most space.
Is it OK to delete old iPhone backups?
Delete Old iPhone iCloud Backups to Free Up Space. Backing up your iPhone or iPad to iCloud is a good idea, but when you upgrade phones, you might end up with multiple backups, including ones you don’t need anymore. By default, iCloud backs up all your iOS devices.
How do you clear temp files on a Mac?
After a fresh backup has completed, here is how to delete and clear cache and temp files from the active user:
- Quit out of any actively open Mac apps.
- Go to the Finder in Mac OS.
- Hold down the SHIFT key (in Sierra) or OPTION / ALT key (Earlier) and pull down the “Go” menu in the Finder.
How do I clean up my Mac?
How to Clean Mac Hard Drive Manually
- Clean up cache. You’ve probably heard “Remove your cache” as a web browser troubleshooting tip.
- Uninstall apps you don’t use.
- Remove old Mail Attachments.
- Empty the trash.
- Delete large and old files.
- Remove old iOS backups.
- Wipe out Language files.
- Delete old DMGs and IPSW.
How do I remove old files from my Mac?
We strongly recommend only deleting cache files from old apps.
- Click on your desktop or select the Finder icon from the Dock.
- Select the Go menu in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Click on Go to Folder.
- Type ~/Library/caches into the text box.
- Select the app folder you wish to remove the cache from.
How do I view iOS files on Mac?
Here’s how to find your iCloud backups on your iOS device, Mac, or PC. On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Using iOS 11, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backup.
On your Mac:
- Choose Apple () menu > System Preferences.
- Click iCloud.
- Click Manage.
- Select Backups.
What are IPA files on Mac?
An .ipa (iOS App Store Package) file is an iOS application archive file which stores an iOS app. Each .ipa file includes a binary for the ARM architecture and can only be installed on an iOS device. Files with the .ipa extension can be uncompressed by changing the extension to .zip and unzipping.
Is it safe to delete log files on Mac?
To do this, Control+click on the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” In addition, some log files can be found in the /var/log folder, but not all the items contained therein are safe to remove.
How do you delete a file that won’t Delete on a Mac?
To delete a file using this method, first open up the Terminal, located in the Applications/Utilities folder. Type in “rm -f ” without the quotation marks, and with the space after the f. Then find the file that wont delete, and drag it to the Terminal window, and the path to that item should appear.
Should I clear my Downloads folder Mac?
Select Finder from the Dock at the bottom of your desktop. In the window that appears, select Downloads from the list on the left side of the screen. Clear each of the download history entries by highlighting them and pressing Delete.
What happens if I delete the backup of an old iPhone?
A: The short answer is no—deleting your old iPhone backup from iCloud is completely safe and won’t affect any of the data on your actual iPhone. You can remove any device backup stored in iCloud by going into your iOS Settings app and selecting iCloud, Storage & Backup and then Manage Storage.
Can you delete old iPhone backups on Mac?
Remove a backup using your Mac. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click iCloud, then click Manage. Click Backups on the left, select an iOS device on the right whose backup you don’t need, then click Delete.
How do I delete old backups on my Mac?
To delete old backups using Time Machine, use the following instructions:
- Connect your backup drive to your computer.
- Click on the Time Machine icon on the Menu Bar.
- Scroll through your backups and find the one you want to delete.
- Click on the Gear icon.
- Select Delete Backup.
- Agree with the on-screen confirmation.
How do I delete unused files from my Mac?
3. Delete cache files from Other data section
- Navigate to Go > Go To Folder.
- Type in ~/Library/Caches and click Go.
- Click-hold Option and drag the Caches folder to your desktop as a backup in case something goes wrong.
- Select all the files in the Caches folder.
- Drag them to the Trash.
- Empty Trash.
How do you delete cache on Mac?
How to empty user cache on mac OS Mojave
- Open a Finder window and select “Go to Folder” in the Go menu.
- Type in ~/Library/Caches and hit enter to proceed to this folder.
- Optional step: You can highlight and copy everything to a different folder just in case something goes wrong.
What are IOS files on Mac?
If you see a big chunk labeled as iOS Files, then you’ve got some backups you can move or delete. Click the Manage button and then click iOS Files in the left panel to view the local iOS backup files you have stored on your Mac.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”