Once you’ve done that, here’s how to install, reinstall, or upgrade to El Capitan, step by step:
- Boot from your Recovery HD partition by restarting your Mac while holding down the Command+R keys.
- Select Reinstall OS X, and click Continue.
- Click Continue.
- How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
- How do I restore my Mac to original?
- How do I reinstall El Capitan from High Sierra?
- How do I restore my iMac to factory settings El Capitan?
- How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
- How do I do a clean install of OSX?
- How do I restore my Mac to yesterday?
- How do I restore my Mac to factory settings?
- Could not find installation information for this machine?
- Is Mac OS High Sierra still available?
- How do I revert to High Sierra from Mojave?
- Should I install macOS High Sierra?
- How do I restore my IMAC to factory settings without CD?
- How do I start my Mac in recovery mode?
- How do I reinstall OSX?
- How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac without disc?
- How do I reinstall Mac from recovery partition?
- Will reinstall macOS erase data?
- How do I reinstall OSX Sierra?
- How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
- How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
- How do I restore my Mac to factory settings without password?
- How do I start my MacBook in recovery mode?
- How do I restore my Mac Air to factory settings?
- Why won’t Mojave install on my Mac?
- How do I fix a Mac installation error?
- How do I quit Mac installer?
How do I wipe my Mac and reinstall?
Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice. Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue.
How do I restore my Mac to original?
How to restore a backup from Time Machine in macOS Recovery
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command+R keys simultaneously.
- Select Restore from Time Machine Backup from the list of available options.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue on the Restore Your System page.
How do I reinstall El Capitan from High Sierra?
To reinstall macOS follow these steps:
- Plug the new bootable installer into your Mac.
- Restart your Mac, holding the Alt key and, when you see the option, choose the bootable install disk.
- Launch Disk Utility, click on the disk with High Sierra on it (the disk, not just the volume) and click the Erase tab.
How do I restore my iMac to factory settings El Capitan?
Restart the Mac in Recovery Mode. Hold down Command and the R key during restart – or use alternative key combination as appropriate (We have a detailed tutorial on using Recovery Mode here). Use Disk Utility to erase the hard drive. Click on Disk Utility > Continue.
How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Command+R’ buttons. Release these buttons as soon as you see the Apple logo. Your Mac should now boot into Recovery Mode. Select ‘Reinstall macOS,’ and then click ‘Continue.’
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac.
- Step 2: Back up your data.
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk.
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive.
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store.
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
How do I restore my Mac to yesterday?
How to restore your Mac from a local backup
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command and R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Disk Utility.
- Click Continue.
- Select your Mac’s hard drive.
- Click the Restore tab at the top of the Disk Utility window.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings?
Step-by-step Guide to Reset Mac to Factory Settings
- Restart in Recovery Mode.
- Erase Data from Mac Hard Drive.
- a. In the macOS Utilities window, choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- b. Choose your startup disk and click Erase.
- c. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
- d. Click Erase.
- e. Wait until the process is finished.
- Reinstall macOS (optional)
Could not find installation information for this machine?
If you are installing mac os on a fresh Hard Drive then rather pressing cmd + R on startup, you need to press and hold only alt/opt key on system startup. In Recovery Mode you have to format your Disk using Disk Utility and Choose OS X Extended (Journaled) as drive format before you click Reinstall OS X.
Is Mac OS High Sierra still available?
Apple’s macOS 10.13 High Sierra launched two years ago now, and is obviously not the current Mac operating system – that honor goes to macOS 10.14 Mojave. However, these days, not only have all of the launch issues been patched out, but Apple continues to provide security updates, even in the face of macOS Mojave.
How do I revert to High Sierra from Mojave?
Method 1 is for you if your Mac was Shipped with High Sierra:
- Backup all the data from Mojave to an external SSD or HDD.
- Restart macOS Mojave 10.14 and immediately press-hold Command and R keys simultaneously.
- A help window with title ‘macOS Utilities’ will show up.
- Erase your macOS Mojave.
- Click on the Reinstall macOS.
Should I install macOS High Sierra?
Apple’s macOS High Sierra update is free to all users and there is no expiration on the free upgrade, so you don’t need to be in a rush to install it. Most apps and services will work on macOS Sierra for at least another year. While some are already updated for macOS High Sierra, others are still not quite ready.
How do I restore my IMAC to factory settings without CD?
How to Factory Reset an iMac Via the Recovery Partition. Restart the iMac and hold the “Command-R” keys while the computer reboots. Select and connect to a Wi-Fi network from the list if the iMac prompts you to do so. Choose the “Disk Utility” option from the list and click “Continue.”
How do I start my Mac in recovery mode?
How to enter Recovery Mode. 1) In the Apple menu choose Restart, or power on your Mac. 2) As your Mac restarts, hold down the Command (⌘) – R combination immediately upon hearing the startup chime. Hold the keys until the Apple logo appears.
How do I reinstall OSX?
How to reinstall MacOS via Recovery
- Start up your Mac while holding down Command+R until you hear the startup chime and see either a spinning globe or Apple logo.
- A macOS Utilities window will open, on which you will see the options to Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall macOS, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac without disc?
How to Reinstall MacOS Mojave
- Backup the Mac before going any further, do not skip making a full backup.
- Restart the Mac, then immediately hold down the COMMAND + R keys together immediately to boot into macOS Recovery Mode (alternatively, you can also hold down OPTION during boot and select Recovery from the boot menu)
How do I reinstall Mac from recovery partition?
Reinstall Mac Operating System From The Recovery Partition
- Turn on the Mac and immediately press and hold down both the Command key and the R key.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear in the middle of the screen you can release the Command and R keys.
- When the Mac has completed its startup, you should see a window similar this one:
Will reinstall macOS erase data?
Technically speaking, simple reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files. You probably don’t need to erase, unless you’re selling or giving away your Mac or having an issue that requires you to wipe.
How do I reinstall OSX Sierra?
It is the easiest way to install a fresh copy of an operating system.
- Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down Command and R (⌘ + R) at the same time.
- Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
How to Clean Install MacOS Mojave
- Complete a full Time Machine backup before starting this process.
- Connect the bootable macOS Mojave installer drive to the Mac via a USB port.
- Reboot the Mac, then immediately start holding the OPTION key on the keyboard.
How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
With the SSD plugged in to your system you’ll need to run Disk Utility to partition the drive with GUID and format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. The next step is to download from the Apps Store the OS installer. Run the installer selecting the SSD drive it will install a fresh OS onto your SSD.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings without password?
Press the Command and R keys at the same time when the grey screen appears and hold them until you see the Apple logo. A small loading bar will appear under the logo. Sit tight as your system boots into Recovery Mode. Click the Utilities tab in the top menu bar, select Terminal, type resetpassword and press Enter.
How do I start my MacBook in recovery mode?
To enter this mode at any time, do the following: 1) In the Apple menu, choose Restart or power on your Mac. 2) As the computer restarts, hold down the Command (⌘) – Option (⌥) – R combination immediately upon hearing the startup chime. Hold the keys until the animated globe appears on the screen.
How do I restore my Mac Air to factory settings?
Startup or Restart using macOS Recovery
- Turn on or restart your MacBook and hold down the Option+Command (⌘)+ R keys.
- Use Disk Utility to erase your startup disk AND any other internal hard disk.
- Select your drive’s name from the left side list and click the Erase.
Why won’t Mojave install on my Mac?
Another common macOS Mojave download problem shows the error message: “Installation of macOS could not continue. To make sure you do, open up the Apple menu and click on ‘About This Mac.’ Select ‘Storage’ and then check to make sure you have enough space on your hard drive. You need at least 12.5GB free.
How do I fix a Mac installation error?
What to do if your Mac freezes during software installation
- Shut down, wait a few seconds, then restart your Mac.
- Go to the Mac App Store and open Updates.
- Check the Log screen to see if files are being installed.
- Try installing the Combo update.
- Install in Safe Mode.
- 6. Make some room.
- Reset the NVRAM.
How do I quit Mac installer?
Press Cmd-Alt-Esc or go to the Apple menu and choose Force Quit. Select the App Store app and confirm you want to force quit.
Photo in the article by “フォト蔵”