Step 4: Reinstall a clean Mac operating system
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command+R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X where applicable) to reinstall the operating system that came with your Mac.
- Click on Continue.
The procedure is as follows:
- Turn your Mac on, while holding the CMD + R keys down.
- Select “Disk Utility” and click on Continue.
- Select the startup disk and go to the Erase Tab.
- Select the Mac OS Extended (Journaled), give a name to your disk and click on Erase.
- Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice. Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue.Nothing works? Reinstall OS X
- Make sure your power adapter is plugged in.
- Restart your Mac holding down the Command and R keys.
- Choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu or connect an Ethernet cable.
- Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
- Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.
How to restore your hard drive from a Time Machine backup
- Power up your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys to enter the macOS Recovery Partition.
- Select Restore from Time Machine Backup and click Continue.
- Read the info on the Restore Your System page and click Continue.
Boot from one of those, and you simply wipe the FileVault drive. You’ll need to reinstall macOS entirely on that drive to wipe out the Recovery Disk settings. Use Internet Recovery. At startup, hold down Command-Option-R, and you can select Reinstall macOS.
- How do I do a clean install of OSX?
- How do I restore my Mac to High Sierra?
- How do I reinstall IOS on my Mac?
- How do I do a fresh install of OSX?
- How do I reinstall OSX Sierra?
- How long does it take to reinstall Mac OS?
- How do you restore a Mac to factory settings?
- Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
- How do you restore a Mac?
- How do I reinstall Mac from scratch?
- How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
- How do I reinstall iTunes on Mac?
- How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
- How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
- How do I do a fresh install of OSX Mojave?
- How do I reinstall Mac OS without Apple ID?
- How do I reinstall Mac OS High Sierra from Mojave?
- Could not find installation information for this machine?
- How do I wipe and reinstall my Mac?
- How do I reinstall Mac OS Internet recovery?
- How long does it take to reinstall macOS High Sierra?
- How do I reinstall El Capitan without losing data?
- Does reinstalling Mac OS wipe hard drive?
- Will reinstalling Sierra delete everything?
- How do I start my Mac in recovery mode?
- How do I restore my Mac from iCloud?
- Does Time Machine restore OS?
- How do I reinstall iTunes on my Mac without losing my music?
- How do I fix iTunes on my Mac?
- How do I reinstall iTunes on my Mac High Sierra?
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac.
- Step 2: Back up your data.
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk.
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive.
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store.
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
How do I restore my Mac to High Sierra?
Click on the Apple menu and choose Restart. Hold down Command+Option+Shift+R to boot into recovery mode. Note, you can also boot into Recovery mode by pressing Command+R. However, adding Option+Shift will allow you to reinstall High Sierra, if your Mac came with it installed.
How do I reinstall IOS on my Mac?
How to install a fresh copy of OS X on your Mac
- Shut down your Mac.
- Press the Power button (the button marked with a O with a 1 through it)
- Immediately press the command (cloverleaf) key and R together.
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet through Wi-Fi.
- Select Install Mac OS X, then click Continue.
How do I do a fresh install of OSX?
Install macOS on your startup disk drive
- Go to System Preferences.
- Сlick Startup disk and choose the installer you just created.
- Restart your Mac and hold down Command-R to boot into recovery mode.
- Take your bootable USB and connect it to your Mac.
How do I reinstall OSX Sierra?
It is the easiest way to install a fresh copy of an operating system.
- Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down Command and R (⌘ + R) at the same time.
- Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
How long does it take to reinstall Mac OS?
Depends on what kind of Mac you have and method of install. Typically, if you have a stock 5400 rpm drive, it takes about 30 – 45 minutes using a USB installer. If you are using the internet recovery route, it can take over an hour, depending on speed of internet etc.
How do you restore a Mac to factory settings?
Step-by-step Guide to Reset Mac to Factory Settings
- Restart in Recovery Mode.
- Erase Data from Mac Hard Drive.
- a. In the macOS Utilities window, choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- b. Choose your startup disk and click Erase.
- c. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
- d. Click Erase.
- e. Wait until the process is finished.
- Reinstall macOS (optional)
Does reinstalling macOS delete everything?
Technically speaking, simple reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files. You probably don’t need to erase, unless you’re selling or giving away your Mac or having an issue that requires you to wipe.
How do you restore a Mac?
How to restore your Mac from a local backup
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command and R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Disk Utility.
- Click Continue.
- Select your Mac’s hard drive.
- Click the Restore tab at the top of the Disk Utility window.
How do I reinstall Mac from scratch?
Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Command+R’ buttons. Release these buttons as soon as you see the Apple logo. Your Mac should now boot into Recovery Mode. Select ‘Reinstall macOS,’ and then click ‘Continue.’
How do I reinstall iTunes on Mac?
Here’s How to Reinstall iTunes Back to Your Mac Again
- Go to Apple iTunes official webpage and hit the Download Now button. Another way is to visit Mac App Store, under Updates tab, check for new updates and click the Update button to continue.
- Follow the instructions to install iTunes to your Mac again.
How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
How to Clean Install MacOS Mojave
- Complete a full Time Machine backup before starting this process.
- Connect the bootable macOS Mojave installer drive to the Mac via a USB port.
- Reboot the Mac, then immediately start holding the OPTION key on the keyboard.
How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
With the SSD plugged in to your system you’ll need to run Disk Utility to partition the drive with GUID and format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. The next step is to download from the Apps Store the OS installer. Run the installer selecting the SSD drive it will install a fresh OS onto your SSD.
How do I do a fresh install of OSX Mojave?
6. Install macOS Mojave
- Connect the USB drive with the version of macOS Mojave to your Mac.
- Restart your Mac while pressing the Option key.
- The Startup Manager will launch.
- Return to the main menu and select ‘Install.’
- Follow the step-by-step instructions to launch macOS Mojave from your USB drive.
How do I reinstall Mac OS without Apple ID?
- With Mac off Hold CMD + R and tap power button to turn on computer.
- Still holding CMD + R wait for recovery screen to appear that gives reinstall option.
- Before clicking reinstall click ‘disk utility’
- On disk utility click the ‘Macintosh HD’ then the erase tab on the right.
How do I reinstall Mac OS High Sierra from Mojave?
Now, follow the steps to downgrade Mojave to High Sierra.
- Boot your macOS into Recovery Mode and erase your macOS Mojave as mentioned in Method 1.
- Choose, ‘Restore from Time Machine Backup’ from the ‘macOS Utilities’
- Select Time Machine Backup external drive or Time Capsule and choose Connect to Remote Disk.
Could not find installation information for this machine?
If you are installing mac os on a fresh Hard Drive then rather pressing cmd + R on startup, you need to press and hold only alt/opt key on system startup. In Recovery Mode you have to format your Disk using Disk Utility and Choose OS X Extended (Journaled) as drive format before you click Reinstall OS X.
How do I wipe and reinstall my Mac?
Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice. Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue.
How do I reinstall Mac OS Internet recovery?
How to use Internet Recovery to reinstall macOS
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button.
- Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery.
- The message will be replaced with a progress bar.
- Wait for the MacOS Utilities screen to appear.
How long does it take to reinstall macOS High Sierra?
Here’s How Long the macOS High Sierra Update Takes
|Backup to Time Machine (Optional)||5 minutes to a day|
|macOS High Sierra Download||20 minutes to an 1 hour|
|macOS High Sierra Installation Time||20 to 50 minutes|
|Total macOS High Sierra Update Time||45 minutes to an hour and 50 minutes|
How do I reinstall El Capitan without losing data?
Question: Q: El capitan reinstall without losing data?
- Reinstall El Capitan Without Erasing the Drive.
- Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.
Does reinstalling Mac OS wipe hard drive?
Answer: A: Reinstall will not wipe your data or installed applications, it will only install the OS files. However as a standard precaution, you should backup your data before you reinstall, for the ‘just in case’ senario.
Will reinstalling Sierra delete everything?
Don’t worry, it won’t affect your files, data, apps, user settings, etc. Only a fresh copy of macOS High Sierra will be installed on your Mac again. A clean install will delete everything associated with your profile, all your files and documents, while the reinstall will not.
How do I start my Mac in recovery mode?
How to enter Recovery Mode. 1) In the Apple menu choose Restart, or power on your Mac. 2) As your Mac restarts, hold down the Command (⌘) – R combination immediately upon hearing the startup chime. Hold the keys until the Apple logo appears.
How do I restore my Mac from iCloud?
Restore from an iCloud backup
- On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Make sure you have a recent backup to restore from.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset, then tap “Erase All Content and Settings.”
- On the Apps & Data screen, tap Restore from iCloud Backup, then sign in to iCloud.
Does Time Machine restore OS?
Yes. But it does not replace CCC, it is an alternative to it. Time Machine will back up the OS, but that backup needs to be restored before the computer can be booted from it. Those programs can create backups which are directly bootable.
How do I reinstall iTunes on my Mac without losing my music?
Open the Start menu and click “Control Panel.” Click the “Uninstall a program” link and select iTunes from the list of installed programs. Click the “Uninstall” button and follow the prompts to uninstall iTunes. If prompted, restart your computer when the uninstallation is complete.
How do I fix iTunes on my Mac?
If you see an error in iTunes on your Mac or PC
- Check the message for steps. Some error codes and alert messages have a More Information button.
- Update iTunes. Get the latest version of iTunes for your computer.
- Update your computer. Install updates for your Mac.
- Check your settings and your security software.
How do I reinstall iTunes on my Mac High Sierra?
Follow the steps below to disable Apple SIP and uninstall iTunes. Restart your Mac and press Command+R key shortcut while the reboot is in progress. You will see an unusual startup window – this is the recovery mode. In the Menu bar click Utilities → select Terminal.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”