OS X Base System is the recovery partition (used to install OS X without a CD).
To use it just boot into Recovery Mode by pressing Command+R when starting the system.
You’re going to want to use disk utility and format Macintosh HD.
How do I uninstall OS X base system in Disk Utility?
Removing the partition with Disk Utility by formatting the disk
- Boot the Mac from a recovery DVD, USB key, or an attached drive.
- Launch Disk Utility.
- Right-click on the Disk (not the partitions) and select “Erase”
- Select the default Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the file system, and give the drive a name.
Should I erase my OS X base system?
Should I erase OS X Base System? Answer: A: Answer: A: There is no need to erase The Base System.
How do I unlock a disk on a Mac?
How to unlock the Recovery HD on OS X Lion
- Restart Mac, press and hold Command + R keys down until a menu appears on the screen.
- In the Menu, choose ‘Disk Utility, next click the button ”
- In the Utility menu, choose your Startup volume which in most cases is called Macintosh HD.
How do I restore my Macintosh HD?
How to restore your Mac from a local backup
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command and R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Disk Utility.
- Click Continue.
- Select your Mac’s hard drive.
- Click the Restore tab at the top of the Disk Utility window.
What is Ox base system?
What is the ‘mac os x base system’ disk image on my help, restored macintosh hd to system. Os x base system is the recovery partition (used to install os without jan 22, 2014 examine disk utility.
Could not find installation information for this machine?
If you are installing mac os on a fresh Hard Drive then rather pressing cmd + R on startup, you need to press and hold only alt/opt key on system startup. In Recovery Mode you have to format your Disk using Disk Utility and Choose OS X Extended (Journaled) as drive format before you click Reinstall OS X.
Why can’t I erase my disk utility?
Select Disk Utility from the startup menu, and you can erase your startup drive securely. You’ll save a little time if you do an erase without overwriting, then reinstall OS X, then Erase Free Space with an overwriting option. After you boot, launch Disk Utility, select the startup volume, and click the Erase tab.
How do you wipe a Mac?
How to Wipe a Mac Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
- Make sure your Mac is turned off.
- Press the power button.
- Immediately hold down the command and R keys.
- Wait until the Apple logo appears.
- Select “Disk Utility” from the OS X Utilities list.
- Select the disk you’d like to erase by clicking on it in the sidebar.
How do I reformat my imac?
Step 3: Reformat your hard drive
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command+R keys simultaneously.
- Select Disk Utility.
- Click on Continue.
- Click on View.
- Click on Show all Devices.
- Select your Startup disk (it is probably named “Apple SSD” or something similar).
What is recovery mode Mac?
To use Recovery Mode, reboot or start your Mac and hold the Command and R keys simultaneously on your keyboard as soon as you hear the familiar startup chime. Keep holding as your Mac boots, which may take a few moments depending on its specific configuration.
How do I unlock my Macintosh HD password?
Use Recovery Mode
- Turn off your Mac.
- Press the power button whilst holding Command + R.
- The Mac will boot into Recovery Mode – when you see the load bar appear you can let go of the keys.
- Select ‘Disk Utility’ and press Continue.
- Go to Utilities > Terminal.
- Enter ‘resetpassword’ and press the Return key.
How do I remove encryption from my hard drive Mac?
This will remove password protection from the target drive.
- Connect the drive or volume you wish to decrypt to the Mac.
- Select the external drive (either from the hard drive or the Finder, or from the Devices menu in the Finder sidebar) and right-click on the drive icon, then choose “Decrypt ‘DriveName’…” from the list.
How do I restore a Mac partition?
Deleting a hard drive partition on Mac
- Step 1: Open Disk Utility.
- Step 2: Click the partition that you wish to delete under the logical volume.
- Step 3: Click the Erase tab and make sure Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) is selected.
- Step 4: Click the Erase button.
- Step 5: Click the logical volume.
How do I get to OSX utilities?
How to Repair a Mac Boot Disk with Disk Utility in Mac OS X
- Reboot the Mac and hold down Command+R to boot into Recovery, or hold down OPTION.
- Select “Recovery HD” at the boot menu.
- At the Mac OS X Utilities screen, select “Disk Utility”
- Select the boot volume or partition from the left menu and click on the “Repair” tab.
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac.
- Step 2: Back up your data.
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk.
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive.
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store.
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
What does restore disk utility do?
WARNING: When you restore one volume to another, all the files on the destination volume are erased. Before you restore a volume, copy any files on the destination volume that you want to save to a different volume. In the Disk Utility app on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.
What does OSX mean?
OS X is Apple’s operating system that runs on Macintosh computers. It was called “Mac OS X” until version OS X 10.8, when Apple dropped “Mac” from the name. OS X was originally built from NeXTSTEP, an operating system designed by NeXT, which Apple acquired when Steve Jobs returned to Apple in 1997.
What is Macintosh HD on Mac?
Macintosh HD is categorized under ‘Hard disks’ so if you leave it checked, then Macintosh HD (or whatever you have named your hard drive) will remain visible. Each drive will have a unique icon visible on the desktop.
Can’t be installed on Macintosh HD?
From the “MacOS could not be installed on your computer” screen:
- Press and hold “option” key and click restart.
- In the “Startup disk selection” screen, use the arrow keys to select your main hard drive (not the MacOS update)
- Wait for your Mac to boot normally.
- Download the latest combo update directly from Apple.
How do I boot a Mac in Safe Mode?
Start the system in Safe Boot mode
- Restart the Macintosh. Press and hold the Shift key immediately after you hear the startup tone.
- Release the Shift key when the Apple logo appears. Safe Boot appears on the Mac OS X startup screen.
What does first aid on Mac do?
In Mac OS X, it is part of the Disk Utility program. In earlier versions of the Mac operating system, it is a separate program called Disk First Aid. It is a good idea to run First Aid or Disk First Aid once a month or so if you use your computer frequently to prevent major corruption to the files on your computer.
How do I restore my iMac to factory settings without CD?
How to Factory Reset an iMac Via the Recovery Partition. Restart the iMac and hold the “Command-R” keys while the computer reboots. Select and connect to a Wi-Fi network from the list if the iMac prompts you to do so. Choose the “Disk Utility” option from the list and click “Continue.”
How do I wipe and reinstall my Mac?
Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice. Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac without disc?
How to Reinstall MacOS Mojave
- Backup the Mac before going any further, do not skip making a full backup.
- Restart the Mac, then immediately hold down the COMMAND + R keys together immediately to boot into macOS Recovery Mode (alternatively, you can also hold down OPTION during boot and select Recovery from the boot menu)
Is Mac OS Sierra still available?
If you have hardware or software that isn’t compatible with macOS Sierra, you might be able to install the previous version, OS X El Capitan. macOS Sierra won’t install on top of a later version of macOS, but you can erase your disk first or install on another disk.
What is the most current Mac OS?
|Version||Codename||Most Recent Version|
|OS X 10.11||El Capitan||10.11.6 (15G1510) (May 15, 2017)|
|macOS 10.12||Sierra||10.12.6 (16G1212) (Jul 19, 2017)|
|macOS 10.13||High Sierra||10.13.6 (17G65) (July 9, 2018)|
|macOS 10.14||Mojave||10.14.4 (18E226) (March 25, 2019)|
15 more rows
What is the order of Mac operating systems?
Left to right: Cheetah/Puma (1), Jaguar (2), Panther (3), Tiger (4), Leopard (5), Snow Leopard (6), Lion (7), Mountain Lion (8), Mavericks (9), Yosemite (10), El Capitan (11), Sierra (12), High Sierra (13), and Mojave (14).