Google automatically backs up your texts, but if you need more control over where they’re saved and want to initiate a manual backup, you’ll have to rely on an alternate service.
Does Google backup text messages?
Initially, if you’re on Android 8 or later, Android lets you back up your app data, contacts, device settings, call history and SMS text messages to Google Drive. This lets you backup text messages to Google Drive automatically and restore them when you sign-in to a new Android phone.
Are text messages backed up on Android?
SMS Messages: Android doesn’t back up your text messages by default. … If you wipe your Android device, you’ll lose your ability to perform two-factor authentication. You can still authenticate via SMS or a printed authentication code and then set up a new device with new Google Authenticator codes.
Where are Android texts backed up?
- Open the apps drawer.
- Tap the Settings app. …
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen, tap System.
- Tap Backup.
- Tap the Toggle next to Back up to Google Drive to turn it on.
- Tap Back up now.
- You will see SMS text messages towards the bottom of the screen along with the backup information.
How do I backup my text messages on Android?
Creating a backup of your Android phone’s SMS messages
You’ll have to grant access to files (to save the backup), contacts, SMS (obviously), and manage phone calls (to backup your call logs). Keep tapping Allow on all four pop-ups. Tap Set up a backup. Toggle phone calls off if you only want to back up your texts.
How do I get my text messages back?
How to recover deleted texts on Android
- Open Google Drive.
- Go to the Menu.
- Choose Settings.
- Choose Google Backup.
- If your device has been backed up, you should see the name of your device listed.
- Select the name of your device. You should see SMS Text Messages with a timestamp indicating when the last backup took place.
Where did my text messages go?
If you have a Google Account and you’ve turned on the Back up to Google Drive function, the data and settings, which includes the SMS text messages, will be automatically backed up to the Google Drive storage. With this, you can easily restore the deleted messages on Android from the backups.
How do I transfer my old text messages to my new phone?
How to move messages from Android to Android, using SMS Backup & Restore:
- Download SMS Backup & Restore onto both your new and old phone and ensure they’re both connected to the same Wifi network.
- Open up the app on both phones, and hit “Transfer”. …
- The phones will then search for each other over the network.
How far back can text messages be retrieved?
All of the providers retained records of the date and time of the text message and the parties to the message for time periods ranging from sixty days to seven years. However, the majority of cellular service providers do not save the content of text messages at all.