A single-line comment starts with hashtag symbol with no white spaces (#) and lasts till the end of the line. If the comment exceeds one line then put a hashtag on the next line and continue the comment. The shell script is commented out prefixing # character for single-line comment.
How do you comment a command in Unix?
You can comment by placing a octothorpe # or a : (colon) at the start of the line, and then your comment. # can also go after some code on a line to add a comment on the same line as the code.
How do you comment multiple lines in Unix script?
Method 1: Using <<comment:
In Shell or Bash shell, we can comment on multiple lines using << and name of comment. we start a comment block with << and name anything to the block and wherever we want to stop the comment, we will simply type the name of the comment.
How do I comment a line in a Linux script?
for multiple line comments add ‘ (single quote) from where you want to start & add ‘ (again single quote) at the point where you want to end the comment line.
How do you comment on Linux?
Whenever you want to comment a line, put a # in an appropriate place in a file. Anything beginning after # and ending at the end of the line won’t get executed. This comments out the complete line. This comments out only the last part of the line starting at #.
How do you comment multiple lines?
The keyboard shortcut to comment multiple in Windows is shift + alt + A .
How do you comment in a script?
How do I run a shell script?
Steps to write and execute a script
- Open the terminal. Go to the directory where you want to create your script.
- Create a file with . sh extension.
- Write the script in the file using an editor.
- Make the script executable with command chmod +x <fileName>.
- Run the script using ./<fileName>.
How do you comment multiple lines in Python?
Let’s have a look at them!
- Using multiple single # line comments. You can use # in Python to comment a single line: # THIS IS A SINGLE LINE COMMENT. …
- Using triple-quoted string literals. Another way to add multiline comments is to use triple-quoted, multi-line strings.
How do you comment out in Jenkinsfile?
You can use block (/***/) or single line comment (//) for each line. You should use “#” in sh command. Comments work fine in any of the usual Java/Groovy forms, but you can’t currently use groovydoc to process your Jenkinsfile (s).
How do I comment in a batch file?
During execution of a batch file, DOS will display (but not act on) comments which are entered on the line after the REM command. You cannot use separators in the comment except the space, tab, and comma. To keep DOS from interpreting commands in a comment line, enclose the command in quotes.
How do I create a shell script in Linux?
How to Write Shell Script in Linux/Unix
- Create a file using a vi editor(or any other editor). Name script file with extension . sh.
- Start the script with #! /bin/sh.
- Write some code.
- Save the script file as filename.sh.
- For executing the script type bash filename.sh.