How do I clear var cache in Linux?
Polipo, a web caching program may store a lot of data in an on-disk cache. One way to clear this up is to issue the command sudo polipo -x – this will cause polipo to clear the local disk cache.
How do I clear the contents of a log file in Linux?
There are various ways you can empty a file in a Linux system.
- Empty log file using truncate command. The safest method to empty a log file in Linux is by using the truncate command. …
- Empty log file using :> or true > …
- Empty log file using echo command. …
- Empty log file using the dd command.
2 окт. 2018 г.
Can you delete var log?
It is generally safe to delete log files. The only disadvantage associated with doing so is that you may not be able to examine the log, if you’re troubleshooting some other problem later. Since new logs are automatically generated, even this disadvantage is short-lived.
How do I clear var log in syslog?
Safely clear the logs: after looking at (or backing up) the logs to identify your system’s problem, clear them by typing > /var/log/syslog (including the > ). You may need to be root user for this, in which case enter sudo su , your password, and then the above command).
Is it safe to delete var cache?
So yes, you may remove these files without expecting anything bad to happen. As others have said, /var/cache/ can be used by any application to store information to save on retrieval time. In my experience though, most of the space taken up in there is from the system’s package manager.
Is it safe to remove var cache yum?
2 Answers. After successful installation, packages should be deleted from the yum cache. You should check in the file /etc/yum. conf , whether the keepcache setting is 1 instead of 0 .
How do you clear a log file?
Delete Saved Console.log
- Launch Event Viewer → File (in the menu) → Options (here you’ll see the disk space in your file and how much space your saved files have consumed in your profile).
- Hit Disk Cleanup and then Delete Files.
- Now Exit and hit OK.
How do I truncate var log messages?
You can simply truncate a log file using > filename syntax. For example if log file name is /var/log/foo, try > /var/log/foo as root user.
How do you delete something in Linux?
How to Remove Files
- To delete a single file, use the rm or unlink command followed by the file name: unlink filename rm filename. …
- To delete multiple files at once, use the rm command followed by the file names separated by space. …
- Use the rm with the -i option to confirm each file before deleting it: rm -i filename(s)
1 сент. 2019 г.
What is the use of VAR log messages?
a) /var/log/messages – Contains global system messages, including the messages that are logged during system startup. There are several things that are logged in /var/log/messages including mail, cron, daemon, kern, auth, etc.
Can I delete syslog 1?
Re: Huge /var/log/syslog and /var/log/syslog. 1. You can just delete those log files. But you’re going to have to open them up and look to see just exactly what messages are filling the log, then correct those problems that are causing all the messages.
Can I delete journal files?
Yes you can delete everything inside of /var/log/journal/* but do not delete the directory itself. You can also query journalctl to find out how much disk space it’s consuming: $ journalctl –disk-usage Journals take up 3.8G on disk.