Method 2 Changing Shortcut and Folder Icons
- Open Start. .
- Click the File Explorer. .
- Click Desktop. It’s a folder in the left-hand column of options in the File Explorer window.
- Click a shortcut or folder icon.
- Click the Home tab.
- Click Properties.
- Open the icon’s “Change Icon” window.
- Select an icon.
How do I change icons on Windows 10?
How to restore the old Windows desktop icons
- Open Settings.
- Click on Personalization.
- Click on Themes.
- Click the Desktop icons settings link.
- Check each icon you want to see on the desktop, including Computer (This PC), User’s Files, Network, Recycle Bin, and Control Panel.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
How do I change the icon of a file?
Right-Click the file type you’d like to change, and then Select Edit Selected File Type. In the Edit window that appears, Click the … button next to Default Icon. Browse for the icon that you would like to use, and then Click OK from both open windows to apply changes. Done!
How do I change the icon of a batch file?
You can, however, create a shortcut in the .lnk format that stores an icon. You can just create a shortcut and then right click on it -> properties -> change icon, and just browse for your desired icon. Hope this help. This will convert your batch file to an executable, then you can set the icon for the converted file.
How do I customize my desktop icons in Windows 10?
Step 1: Press Windows+I to open Settings panel, and click Personalization to access Personalization settings. Step 2: Tap Change desktop icons on the top left in the Personalization window. Step 3: In the Desktop Icon Settings window, select the icon of This PC and click Change Icon.
How do I change the icon size in Windows 10?
How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons in Windows 10
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop.
- Select View from the contextual menu.
- Select either Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons.
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop.
- Select Display settings from the contextual menu.
How do I change shortcut icons in Windows 10?
How to Change Icon for Any Desktop Shortcut in Windows 10
- Step 2: After the shortcut’s Properties dialog opens, select the Shortcut tab, and then click the “Change Icon” button.
- Step 3: By default, Windows looks for some icons from the location “%windir%\explorer.exe”, and show them in the list.
How do you change app icons?
Method 1 Using the “Iconical” App
- Open Iconical. It’s a grey app with blue crossed lines.
- Tap Select App.
- Tap an app whose icon you wish to change.
- Tap the option best suited to your desired icon.
- Tap the “Enter Title” field.
- Type in a name for your icon.
- Tap Create Home Screen Icon.
- Tap the “Share” button.
How do I change the icon of a file in Windows 10?
Customizing Icons in Windows 10
- Click on the Personalization tab as highlighted in the image shown above.
- Click on the Desktop icon settings option as highlighted in the following image:
- As soon as you will click on it, the Desktop Icon Settings window will appear which is shown in the image below:
How do I change the icon of an EXE file?
Click the “Action” menu and then select “Replace Icon.” In the Replace Icon window, click the “Open file with new icon” button and browse to the location of the icon you want to use. The source can be an EXE, DLL, RES, or ICO file. After you’ve selected the icon, it’s displayed in the Replace Icon window.
How do I edit a .bat file?
To open the .BAT file in Notepad, right-click it and choose Edit from the menu. You might find more advanced text editors that support syntax highlighting, helpful when editing a .BAT file.
Is a batch file an executable?
When a batch file is run, the shell program (usually COMMAND.COM or cmd.exe) reads the file and executes its commands, normally line-by-line. Unix-like operating systems, such as Linux, have a similar, but more flexible, type of file called a shell script. The filename extension .bat is used in DOS and Windows.
How do I pin a shortcut to the taskbar?
First, decide on the folder that you want to pin to the taskbar. You need to create a special shortcut to it, on your desktop. Therefore, go to the desktop and right-click or press and hold (if you have a touchscreen), somewhere on the empty space. In the contextual menu that opens, choose New and then Shortcut.
How do I change drive icons in Windows 10?
Specific Drive Icon – Change in Windows 10
- Open Registry Editor.
- Go to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons.
- Under the DriveIcons subkey, create a new subkey and use the drive letter (ex: D ) that you want to change the icon for.
How do I customize my desktop in Windows 10?
To personalize the Lock screen using a custom image, do the following:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Personalization.
- Click on Lock screen.
- Use the “Background” drop-down menu, and select the Picture option.
- Click the Browse button to locate the picture you want to use.
How do I change the PDF icon in Windows 10?
Here’s how you can set/change your default application for PDF files. Navigate to any PDF file on your system and right click on it to open properties. On properties window, You’ll see a change button (as highlighted in screen clips below). Use it to set adobe acrobat reader as your default app.
How do I make the icons smaller?
To resize desktop icons. Right-click (or press and hold) the desktop, point to View, and then select Large icons, Medium icons, or Small icons. You can also use the scroll wheel on your mouse to resize desktop icons. On the desktop, press and hold Ctrl while you scroll the wheel to make icons larger or smaller.
How do I make the default icons bigger in Windows 10?
How to: Change Default Icon View in Windows 10 (for All Folders)
- Click Start and then click This PC; this will open a File Explorer window.
- Navigate to any folder on your C drive.
- Once you are viewing a folder, right click an empty space within the File Explorer window and select View from the dialogue menu, then choose Large Icons.
How do I change the icon space in Windows 10?
Steps to Change Desktop Icon Spacing (Horizontal and Vertical) in Windows 10
- Navigate to the following location.
- In the right panel, find out WindowMetrics. This is the horizontal spacing.
- Now the vertical spacing is same as step 4. All you need to do is double click on IconVerticalSpacing.
How do you change the icon for a desktop shortcut?
To change the icon for a program or file shortcut, follow the steps below.
- Right-click the program or file shortcut.
- In the pop-up menu, select Properties.
- On the Shortcut tab, click on the Change Icon button.
- In the Change Icon window, select the icon you want to use.
- After selecting the icon, click OK.
How do I remove the shortcut icons in Windows 10?
To remove arrows from shortcut icons with Ultimate Windows Tweaker, choose the Customization section on the left, click the File Explorer tab, and then click “Remove Shortcut Arrows From Shortcut Icons.”
How do I change the picture of a shortcut?
Once you have the icon that you want to use, right click or press and hold the shortcut whose icon you want to change. Then, select Properties. In the Shortcut tab, click or tap the “Change Icon” button. The Change Icon window opens.
Where are Windows icons stored?
These icons are located in the C:\Windows\system32\SHELL32.dll location.
How do I change folder icons in Windows 10?
How to Change Folder Icon in Windows 10
- Open This PC in File Explorer.
- Locate the folder whose icon you wish to customize.
- Right click it and select Properties in the context menu.
- In the Properties window, go to the Customize tab.
- Click on the button Change Icon.
- In the next dialog, pick a new icon and you are done.
How do I change the icon of a program on a Mac?
How to change Mac app icons
- Open Finder and navigate to Applications.
- Click the app you’d like to change the icon for and hit command + I (or right-click and choose Get Info)
- Have an image for the new icon you’d like to use, jpg often works best.
- Copy the new image you’d like to use (command + C)
What is the difference between batch file and exe?
Batch files are really just text files, or small scripts which can be executed by command line processor – “cmd.exe”, they where widely used in DOS environment for automation of common tasks. EXE files are different from BAT files since they contain executable binary data rather than plain text commands.
Are .bat files dangerous?
BAT. A BAT file is a DOS batch file used to execute commands with the Windows Command Prompt (cmd.exe). The danger: A BAT file contains a series of line commands that will run if it is opened, which makes it a good option for malicious programmers.
What does @echo off do?
To display a message that is several lines long without displaying any commands, you can include several echo Message commands after the echo off command in your batch program. To display the command prompt, type echo on. If used in a batch file, echo on and echo off do not affect the setting at the command prompt.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”