- Outside windows typically have more dirt and stains.
- Using a soft microfiber cloth, go over the surface of the window.
- Rinse thoroughly with the hose.
- Spray or mop with the vinegar and water solution or with a commercial cleanser.
- Wipe the window dry using a clean, rubber-bladed squeegee.
Attach the outdoor window cleaning detergent to your garden hose, if you cannot reach the exterior windows from inside. Remove the yellow plug and turn the control on the bottle to “rinse.”Recipes for Vinegar Window Washing Solution
- Mix one part hot water to one part distilled vinegar.
- Sponge cleaning: Moisten the window, using the solution, then clean.
- Squeegee cleaning: Always dampen the squeegee first and clean from the top down, wiping the edge of the squeegee after every stroke.
Washing windows is easy with a hose and some soap.
- Pour a couple of capfuls of liquid dishwashing soap into your spray bottle, then fill the rest of the bottle with water from the tap.
- Shake the bottle well to mix the water and soap.
- Rinse your exterior windows by spraying them through the screen with the water hose.
Green Living, from National Geographic, recommends this simple recipe, plus a few extra tips for the best window cleaning outcome.
- In a spray bottle, mix 50% distilled vinegar (white) and 50% tap water.
- For extremely grimy glass, prewash with very soapy water, then go to the vinegar spray.
- Got highly resistent spots?
Cleaning the Frames
- Mix three parts distilled white vinegar to seven parts water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the vinyl window with the vinegar solution or cleaner and let it sit for several minutes.
- Wipe the frame down with a damp cloth to remove any excess vinegar solution or cleaner.
How do you clean apartment windows?
How to Clean the Outside of Apartment Windows
- Spray window cleaner on the back of the squeegee until the sponge is completely soaked.
- Adjust the squeegee so it is at a 90-degree angle.
- Stand behind the closed portion of the window.
- Press the sponge portion of the squeegee over the window until the entire window is soaked with window cleaner.
How do you get streak free windows?
Homemade window cleaning solution:
- Mix one part distilled vinegar to 10 parts warm water in a spray bottle.
- Wipe down the window with a a soft, clean, lint-free microfiber cloth or paper towel to remove dust before you spray your solution, then spray the entire surface.
How do you clean film off windows?
How to Clean Film Off Windows
- Mix a solution of equal parts water and vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Add a cap full of ammonia and a teaspoon of dish soap.
- Spray the window with the solution.
- Wipe the window clean with scrunched up newspapers to clean the glass.
- Shine the area with a soft, clean towel.
How do I keep my outside windows clean?
Mix a drop of blue Dawn into a spray bottle with warm water, then apply it to both sides of your window. Use a paper towel to wipe away grime and a squeegee to get it squeaky clean. Once the window is 100% dry, apply Rain-X Original to the outside, and wipe away with a paper towel or newspaper.
How do I clean cloudy windows?
How to Get the Window Haze Off Glass
- Combine 2 cups water, 2 cups white vinegar and 5 drops dish soap in a spray bottle.
- Mist this spray over the window haze and wipe off with a cleaning rag. Wipe in large, circular motions to remove all haze and residue.
- Let the windows air dry.
How do I clean the inside of my apartment windows?
Once most of the crud is gone, move on to next step.
- Spray a streak-free window cleaner onto the glass or on a clean microfiber cloth and wipe.
- Wait for the window to dry.
- Wipe the dried glass with newspaper for a streak-free shine. If your hands don’t reach the window, you can skip this step.
How do you clean windows with Dawn?
Fill a clean, 1-quart spray bottle with the solution. Spray it directly on the glass, and then wipe the glass with dry paper towels or soft cloths. Allow the mist to sit on the window to soften stubborn grime if necessary, especially on kitchen windows with a greasy film.
Is ammonia good for cleaning windows?
Homemade Cleaners for Windows: Mix two tablespoons of ammonia OR white vinegar with two quarts or warm water. Mix one-half cup ammonia, one pint of 70 percent rubbing alcohol and one teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. Add enough water to make one gallon liquid.
What do professional window washers use?
Microfiber rags work great for window cleaning. For divided-lite windows, use a sponge and a small squeegee.
How do you clean badly stained windows?
Make a paste of baking soda and vinegar.
- Apply the paste to the glass and allow to sit.
- Scrub lightly with a brush, a towel, or a sponge.
- Wash the paste away from the glass with water.
- Clean the glass with water or a traditional glass cleaner, but be sure to dry it thoroughly so that the water spots do not re-form.
Will TSP damage windows?
Trisodium phosphate, or TSP, is a cleaning product composed of soda ash and phosphoric acid commonly used to remove difficult stains and rust. You shouldn’t clean glass with TSP, however. If the glass is etched because of the acid, there is no way to repair the damage.
How do I get rid of grime on windows?
For Dirty Outdoor Windows:
- Sponge the glass with vinegar water. Fill your bucket with a gallon of warm water, add 1 cup white vinegar, and then soak your sponge in it completely.
- Squeegee the solution away.
- Spray the glass with cleaner.
- Wipe it away with a rag.
- Give it a once-over using newspaper.
How do you deep clean windows?
Remove dirt and build up from the tracks using a nylon brush or old toothbrush. If you have excessive build up you may need to break out the shop-vac. Then wipe the tracks with a cloth or Q-tip dipped in vinegar. Finally, wipe the entire length of the track with a paper towel or clean cloth.
How do you remove haze from glass?
You can remove the buildup caused by calcium and magnesium ions in hard water by swabbing the glass with acetone (nail polish remover), and then scrub gently with a mild detergent. Soaking the glasses in plain white distilled vinegar for 15 minutes is another effective home remedy.
How do you clean oxidized glass?
How to Clean Oxidized Glass
- Wring out a cleaning rag in warm water, and apply a little of your chosen oxidization removal product to an inconspicuous part of the window.
- Apply your oxidization removal product to the stained areas of the window.
- Wash the window thoroughly with warm soapy water.
Photo in the article by “Pixnio”