Here’s the proper way to delete the Windows.old folder:
- Step 1: Click in Windows’ search field, type Cleanup, then click Disk Cleanup.
- Step 2: Click the “Clean up system files” button.
- Step 3: Wait a bit while Windows scans for files, then scroll down the list until you see “Previous Windows installation(s).”
Is it safe to remove Windows old?
While it’s safe to delete the Windows.old folder, if you remove its contents, you will no longer be able to use the recovery options to rollback to the previous version of Windows 10. If you delete the folder, and then you want to rollback, you’ll need to perform a clean installation with the desire version.
How do I remove Windows old from my hard drive?
How to delete old Windows installation files
- Right-click the Start button.
- Click Search.
- Type Disk Cleanup.
- Right-click Disk Cleanup.
- Click Run as administrator.
- Click the dropdown arrow below Drives.
- Click the drive that holds your Windows installation.
- Click OK.
What happens if I delete Windows old?
The Windows.old folder contains all the files and data from your previous Windows installation. You can use it to restore your system to the old version of Windows if you don’t like the new version. But, don’t wait too long—Windows will automatically delete the Windows.old folder to free up space after a month.
Will Windows old delete itself?
After 10 days, the Windows.old folder may delete itself — or it may not. Unless you have a serious freezing problem, which you would notice right after the upgrade, we recommend that you delete the Windows.old folder to save a lot of space. The OS won’t let you just highlight the folder and hit the delete key, though.
Photo in the article by “Pixabay”