Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state.
You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need.
Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Reset your Windows 8.1 PC
- Open PC Settings.
- Click on Update and recovery.
- Click on Recovery.
- Under “Remove everything and reinstall Windows 10,” click the Get started button.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Fully clean the drive option to erase everything on your device and start fresh with a copy of Windows 8.1.
How do I do a factory reset with Windows 10?
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Update & security”
- Click Recovery in the left pane.
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything,” depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
How do I restore PC to factory settings?
To reset your PC
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
How do I wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall Windows?
- Press the Windows key plus the “C” key to open the Charms menu.
- Select the Search option and type reinstall in the Search text field (do not press Enter).
- Select the Settings option.
- On the left side of the screen, select Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- On the “Reset your PC” screen, click Next.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it Windows 10?
Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need. Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do I delete all personal information from my computer?
Return to the Control Panel and then click “Add or Remove User Accounts.” Click your user account, and then click “Delete the account.” Click “Delete files,” and then click “Delete Account.” This is an irreversible process and your personal files and information are erased.
How long does a factory reset take Windows 10?
The Just Remove My Files option will take somewhere in the neighborhood of two hours, while the Fully Clean The Drive option can take as long as four hours. Of course, your mileage may vary.
How do you reset a Windows 10 laptop?
Reset or reinstall Windows 10
- Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Recovery.
- Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the Shift key while you select the Power icon > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen.
What does Windows 10 Reset do?
Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files. Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.
How do I do a factory reset?
Factory reset Android in Recovery Mode
- Turn your phone off.
- Hold the Volume down button, and while doing so, also hold the Power button until the phone turns on.
- You’ll see the word Start, then you should press Volume down until Recovery mode is highlighted.
- Now press the Power button to start recovery mode.
How do I refresh my PC in Windows 10?
Windows 10 How-To: Reset or Refresh your Windows 10 installation for better performance
- Head to Start then go to Settings.
- Head into Update & security.
- On the left, head into Recovery.
- Under reset this PC, click Get Started.
- Click what method you want to perform.
How do I restore a Dell laptop to factory settings?
Hard Reset Dell Laptop. Restart your computer by clicking Start > arrow next to the Lock button > Restart. As the computer restarts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen. Note: You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears on the screen.
How do I wipe my operating system off my computer?
Steps to delete Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP from system drive
- Insert the Windows installation CD into your disk drive and restart your computer;
- Hit any key on your keyboard when asked if you want to boot to the CD;
- Press “Enter” at the welcome screen and then hit the “F8” key to accept the Windows license agreement.
Will reinstalling Windows 10 delete everything?
This is the easiest way to remove your stuff from a PC before getting rid of it. Resetting this PC will delete all your installed programs. You can choose whether you want to keep your personal files or not. On Windows 10, this option is available in the Settings app under Update & security > Recovery.
Does installing Windows wipe hard drive?
That doesn’t absolutely affect your data, it only applies to system files, as the new (Windows) version is installed ON TOP OF THE PREVIOUS ONE. Fresh install means you totally format the hard drive and reinstall your operating system from scratch. Installing windows 10 will not remove your previous data as well as OS.
How do I wipe an external hard drive Windows 10?
Completely Wipe Hard Drive in Windows 10 with EaseUS Partition Master for Free
- Step 1: Install and launch EaseUS Partition Master. Select the HDD or SSD which you want to wipe.
- Step 2: Set the number of times to wipe data. You can set to 10 at most.
- Step 3: Check the message.
- Step 4: Click “Apply” to apply the changes.
How do I factory reset my laptop Windows 10 without password?
How to Factory Reset Windows 10 Laptop without Password
- Go to Start menu, click on “Settings”, select “Update & Security”.
- Click on “Recovery” tab, and then click on “Get start” button under Reset this PC.
- Select “Keep my files” or “Remove everything”.
- Click on “Next” to reset this PC.
How do I uninstall Windows 10 from my hard drive?
Enter Windows 10 Disk Management. Right-click the drive or partition by clicking “Delete Volume”. Step 2: Select “Yes” to let the system complete the removing process. Then you’ve successfully deleted or removed your Windows 10 disk.
Does factory reset delete everything laptop?
Simply restoring the operating system to factory settings does not delete all data and neither does formatting the hard drive before reinstalling the OS. To really wipe a drive clean, users will need to run secure-erase software. Linux users can try the Shred command, which overwrites files in a similar fashion.
How do I clear my computer before recycling?
Save important files
- Delete and overwrite sensitive files.
- Turn on drive encryption.
- Deauthorize your computer.
- Delete your browsing history.
- Uninstall your programs.
- Consult your employer about data disposal policies.
- Wipe your hard drive.
- Or physically damage your hard drive.
Does reformatting a computer erase everything?
Formatting the hard drive is a bit more secure than simply erasing the files. Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. However a computer specialist would be able to recover most or all the data that was on the disk before the reformat.
Will resetting PC remove Windows 10?
If in Reset, you choose Restore Factory settings, it would restore the OEM partition i.e. Take you back to 8.1 if it came preinstalled. A much better option is to backup your data and clean install Windows 10: You can reinstall Windows 10 at any time and it will not cost you anything !
Will resetting PC remove viruses?
Viruses That Escape Resets. Factory resets don’t remove infected files stored on backups: viruses can return to the computer when you restore your old data. The backup storage device should be fully scanned for virus and malware infections before any data is moved back from the drive to the computer.
What happens when we reset the PC?
It’s also smart to reset the PC before giving it to a new user or selling it. The resetting process removes the applications and files installed on the system, then reinstalls Windows and any applications that were originally installed by your PC’s manufacturer, including trial programs and utilities.
How do I uninstall Windows 10 after a year?
How to uninstall Windows 10 using the recovery option
- Use the Windows key + I keyboard shortcut to open the Settings app.
- Click Update & security.
- Click Recovery.
- If you’re still within the first month since you upgraded to Windows 10, you’ll see the “Go back to Windows 7” or “Go to back to Windows 8” section.
How do I uninstall something on Windows 10?
Here’s how to uninstall any program in Windows 10, even if you don’t know what kind of app it is.
- Open the Start menu.
- Click Settings.
- Click System on the Settings menu.
- Select Apps & features from the left pane.
- Select an app you wish to uninstall.
- Click the Uninstall button that appears.
How do you remove an account from Windows 10?
Whether the user is using a local account or Microsoft account, you can remove a person’s account and data on Windows 10, use the following steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on Accounts.
- Click on Family & other people.
- Select the account. Windows 10 delete account settings.
- Click the Delete account and data button.
Photo in the article by “Pexels”