According to Windows 10 Forums, The icon cache can sometimes become corrupted causing the icons of files to display incorrectly or distorted.
When this happens, the icon cache needs to be deleted to reset and automatically recreate it.
There is also a tutorial there to walk you through it.
Why are there check boxes on my icons?
Open Control Panel and select Folder Options.
- When the Folder Options window opens, choose the View tab and scroll down and uncheck “Use check boxes to select items” and click OK.
- That’s it. No more boxes.
- Disable Item Check Boxes in Windows 10.
- That’s all there is to it.
How do I fix my icons on Windows 10?
In Windows 10, you need to do the following. If you needed to rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows 7 / 8, you needed to do the following: Open File Explorer > Folder Options > Views to show Hidden System Files. Next, go to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local folder and delete the hidden IconCache.db file.
Why do my desktop icons have red exclamation marks?
For some reason my computer has just started displaying my desktop icons with an exclamation mark. These tends to be documents saved directly to the desktop. If these are red circle icons with the white exclamation point, they are called ‘Status Icons’ and are found in some backup products.
How do I unlink OneDrive and relink?
Link or Unlink OneDrive with Microsoft Account in Windows 10
- Right click or press and hold on the OneDrive icon on the taskbar notification area, click/tap on the menu (3 dots) button, and click/tap on Settings. ( see screenshot below)
- Click/tap on the Account tab, and click/tap on the Unlink this PC link under OneDrive. (
- Click/tap on Unlink account to confirm. (
What does the green check mark mean on Onedrive?
A green check mark on a file means it is successfully synced. A blue circular arrow means it’s currently being synced. A red X means a file is out of sync. You will also have a OneDrive icon in your system tray. Right click on this for some additional syncing options.
What do Dropbox icons mean?
A blue icon means that your file is currently being transferred to Dropbox. A red icon means that your file couldn’t be transferred. The same applies to the Dropbox tray/menu bar icon.
Where are my icons on Windows 10?
1 – Fix the “Desktop Icons are Missing in Windows 10” Problem
- Enabling the Desktop icons Visibility. Click Start menu and Search for Settings. Inside Settings, click on Personalization.
- Show All Windows Desktop Icons. On the desktop, right-click your mouse and select “view”
How do I adjust the icon cache in Windows 10?
The easiest way to rebuild the thumbnail cache on Windows 10 is using the Disk Cleanup tool.
- Open File Explorer.
- On the left pane, click This PC.
- Right-click the C: drive where Windows 10 is installed, and select Properties.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Check the Thumbnails option, and uncheck all the other options.
How do I restore my icons?
To restore these icons, follow these steps:
- Right-click the desktop and click Properties.
- Click the Desktop tab.
- Click Customize desktop.
- Click the General tab, and then click the icons that you want to place on the desktop.
- Click OK.
Where did my icons go?
Desktop Icons Missing or Disappeared. Note: If you are simply trying to get the Computer, Control Panel, Recycle Bin, Network or User’s Files icons back, then you just need to right-click on the desktop, click Personalize, click Change desktop icons on the left hand menu and then check the icons you want on the desktop
What happened to my desktop icons in Windows 10?
If all of your Desktop icons are missing, then you might have triggered an option to hide desktop icons. You can enable this option to get your Desktop icons back. Follow the steps below. Right click inside an empty space on your desktop and navigate to View tab at the top.
Why are my desktop icons not showing?
Right-click on your desktop > View > Check Show desktop icons. It should help. If it doesn’t, type gpedit.msc in the Start menu and hit Enter. Now in Desktop, in the right pane, open Properties of Hide and disable all items on the desktop.
Can I turn off OneDrive?
First off, you can’t uninstall OneDrive at all, but you can disable the service. Begin by opening the Start menu, right-clicking on the OneDrive icon, then selecting Unpin from Start. Next you’ll need to open PC Settings>OneDrive, and turn off all the various syncing and storage options.
How do I turn off OneDrive sharing?
Here are the steps:
- Select the file or folder you want to stop sharing.
- Select Information in the upper-right corner to open the Details pane.
- Select Manage access and: To stop sharing the file entirely, click Stop sharing. To delete a sharing link, click the ellipsis () next to the link, and click the X.
What happens if I uninstall OneDrive?
OneDrive is built in to some versions of Windows and can’t be uninstalled. But you can hide it and stop the sync process, so it stays hidden. To do this, turn off all the OneDrive settings and remove the OneDrive folder from File Explorer.
Why is OneDrive not syncing?
Restart the OneDrive sync client app on your PC. If OneDrive isn’t syncing any file or folder, the first thing you want to try is to reset the desktop sync client app. On the notification area, right-click the OneDrive (cloud) icon. (This will open the OneDrive folder indicating that the app is running.)
What does free up space mean on OneDrive?
Free Up Space from Locally Available OneDrive Files. OneDrive is the online document storage solution created by Microsoft which comes bundled as a free service with Windows 10. It can be used to store your documents and other data online in the cloud.
What do the blue lines mean on OneDrive?
Three little blue lines. The glimmer marks (three little blue lines) seen next to a file or folder indicate that the file is new. You’ll see this only when using OneDrive.com online.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”